Remember when I shared my Thai sun-dried beef (nua dad deaw) recipe and said the beef will keep in the fridge for a good while? Well, here’s an amazing thing that could come out of having that beef in your freezer:
THIS. GOLDEN. DRIED. BEEF. FRIED. RICE.
Or kao pad nua kem (ข้ามผัดเนื้อเค็ม) in Thai.
This dried beef fried rice is really, really tasty and takes so little time to make you can even do it on a busy day. If you can’t be bothered to make dried beef, you can use beef jerky or just beef. The result will still be good, although not exactly the same. But hey, we don’t all have the time and sunshine to dry our own beef all the time, right?
The special thing about this dried beef fried rice is that I use a little bit of chili (together with garlic, of course) in it so it has that nice garlic and chili fragrance. The amount stated in the recipe won’t make this fried rice hot at all, but if that’s what you want, then go ahead and add more! I know sometimes only a spicy fried rice will do. And that’s especially true if you’re Asian. 😜
Another great thing about this fried rice is the eggs. I feel like with Asian fried rice, you either add beaten eggs to the wok and try to break them into little pieces as they cook at the bottom of the wok, or do what what I like to do with this fried rice, which is quickly mix them with the rice so that every grain is coated in egg. Both methods are good, and this totally depends on you. Though I prefer the second method for my dried beef or beef jerky fried rice. It’s tasty and it allows you to achieve that beautiful golden color of this fried rice.
When it comes to serving this fried rice, don’t forget the lime wedges! They’re as important as the beef because a good squeeze of lime juice will make this dried beef fried rice so much tastier.
Even better, you can serve it with some of my other recipes, such as
Thai Dried Beef Fried Rice Recipe
A golden Thai fried rice with sun-dried beef, and each grain coated in egg. Very tasty and filling!
- Prep Time: 25minutes
- Cook Time: 10minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Cuisine: Thai
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped chilis
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup diced carrot
- 5 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100 grams fried dried beef or beef jerky, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Add oil to a wok over medium heat and fry the chilis, garlic and carrot. (There is no need to wait for the oil to be hot or the chilis and garlic will burn).
- Once the carrot is cooked, add rice and stir until everything is mixed together.
- Pour the eggs over the rice and quickly stir and toss until each grain is coated in egg.
- Add the fried dried beef and season the fried rice with soy sauce.
- Turn the heat off and add the green onions. Stir to mix the green onions with the rice.
- Serve warm with lime wedges.
Keywords: thai fried rice, sun dried beef
All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.