Remember when I shared my Thai sun-dried beef (nua dad deaw) recipe and said the beef will keep in the fridge for a good while? Well, here's an amazing thing that could come out of having that beef in your freezer:
THIS. GOLDEN. DRIED. BEEF. FRIED. RICE.
Or kao pad nua kem (ข้าวผัดเนื้อเค็ม) in Thai.
This dried beef fried rice is really, really tasty and takes so little time to make you can even do it on a busy day. If you can't be bothered to make dried beef, you can use any beef jerky you can find. It will still be good, although not exactly the same. But hey, we don't all have the time and sunshine to dry our own beef all the time, right?
WHAT'S SPECIAL ABOUT THIS THAI DRIED BEEF FRIED RICE?
I use a bit of finely chopped chili together with garlic to create this nice chili and garlic fragrance. But don't worry! The amount of chili used in this fried rice recipe isn't enough to make it at all. Though if that's what you want, then go ahead and add more! I know sometimes only a spicy fried rice will do. And that's especially true if you're Asian. 😜
WAYS TO COOK EGGS IN YOUR THAI DRIED BEEF FRIED RICE
As with most Asian fried rice, you either add beaten eggs to the wok and try to break them into little pieces as they cook, or do what I like to do when I make this fried rice, which is quickly mix beaten eggs with the rice so that every grain is coated in egg. Both methods are good, and this totally depends on you. Though I prefer the second method for my dried beef fried rice. It's tasty and it allows you to achieve that beautiful golden color.
HOW TO SERVE YOUR THAI DRIED BEEF FRIED RICE
When it comes to serving this fried rice, don't forget the lime wedges! They're as important as the beef. This fried rice already has a nice fragrance from chili and garlic, the saltiness from the soy sauce and the beef; all it needs now is just a squeeze of lime juice. The lime juice is going to add that little something that completes this dish.
If you want to have more vegetables, you can also serve this fried rice with sliced cucumber, cilantro or green onions.
RECIPES YOU CAN ENJOY THIS THAI DRIED BEEF FRIED RICE WITH
Thai Dried Beef Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped chili
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup diced carrot
- 5 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 2 eggs beaten
- 100 grams fried dried beef or beef jerky cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 green onions chopped
- Add oil to a wok over medium heat and fry the chilis, garlic and carrot. (There is no need to wait for the oil to be hot or the chili and garlic will burn).
- Once the carrot is cooked, add rice and stir until everything is mixed together.
- Pour the eggs over the rice and quickly stir and toss until each grain is coated in egg.
- Add the fried dried beef and season the fried rice with soy sauce.
- Turn the heat off and add the green onions. Stir to mix the green onions with the rice.
- Serve warm with lime wedges.
All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.