If you’re Asian and you host parties for your family and friends a lot, chances are you have at least one of those electric grill pans. (I said at least because I have two myself!) We just LOVE our grilling parties. “What do grilling parties have to do with this recipe?”, you might ask. Well, every time I host one, I prepare eggplants and king oyster or eryngii mushrooms for everyone to grill with meat. Despite having hosted this sort of party countless times, I always get the amount wrong and end up with leftovers (Oops!). But hey, you should never let your guests leave the party hungry, right? Besides I don’t ever throw any leftovers away anyway, so it’s all good.
Yes, this is an eggplant and mushroom leftover recipe. You’ll notice that eggplant and mushroom are probably not the most common combination in a spicy Thai stir fry, but they are possible and actually really good. This dish is very easy to make but super delicious. Believe me it tastes even better than it looks!
If you don’t already have oyster sauce and fish sauce, don’t be afraid to get a bottle of each because you can use them in other Asian dishes as well. 😛
Last but not least, I think it would be a crime if I end this post without warning people about the chili. I mean, I’m actually even going to put this in the printable recipe below just so it will be there if someone decides to print it. Please, please, please feel free to use a smaller amount chili or start with a small amount and add more if needed. I personally don’t find three tablespoons too hot for the recipe but you might be different.
Other than that I’m sure you’re going to enjoy this dish! It’s best served hot with rice by the way, so you might want to make sure you have cooked rice ready to eat it with. 🙂
Spicy Thai Eggplant & Mushroom Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons garlic finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons red chili finely chopped
- 200 grams pork thinly sliced
- 1 long eggplant sliced
- 250 grams king oyster mushroom sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Over medium heat, add oil to a large pan. Once the oil starts to sizzle, toss the garlic and chili in and stir so that it's fragrant.
- Add the pork and let it cook for a few minutes before adding the eggplant and mushrooms. When the pan gets dry, add water to help cook the ingredients.
- Once everything's cooked, season with oyster sauce, fish sauce and sugar.
- Stir fry until everything is well-mixed and remove from heat to serve hot with rice.
All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.