Butterfly Pea Tea Lemonade Recipe
This butterfly pea tea lemonade is refreshingly sweet, tangy and fragrant. Not only is it easy to make, but it also looks inviting, making it perfect as an afternoon treat or for parties. Say goodbye to store-bought lemonade now and use this recipe which comes with several health benefits, ranging from helping to reduce stress and anxiety to improving your digestion and protecting you against free radicals!
Servings: 5 Drinks
- 3 cups warm water
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup fresh or dried butterfly pea flowers
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 3 cups ice
- 3 cups soda water
- Pieces of lemon and rosemary sprigs for garnishes optional
Make butterfly pea tea by placing the fresh or dried butterfly pea flowers in a bowl and add the warm water. Soak for a few minutes.
Use the back of a spoon to press the flowers against the bottom of the bowl to extract the color. Once the color is vivid enough, strain and discard the flowers.
Add the sugar to the butterfly tea and use a spoon to stir until fully dissolved.
Mix the lemon juice with the sweetened butterfly pea tea.
Fill 3 glasses with ice.
Pour the butterfly pea lemonade over the ice, up to about half of each glass.
Fill the rest of each glass with soda water.
Garnish with pieces of lemon and rosemary sprigs and stir to enjoy.
- You can substitute lemon juice for lime juice and soda water with drinking water.
- If you don't want to add any soda water or drinking water at all and want to have just a pure purple butterfly pea lemonade, simply mix the butterfly pea tea with sugar and lemon juice and keep tasting and adjusting until you get the taste you like. Just remember this drink is supposed to be sour and sweet, so don't use too much sugar.
- Because this drink contains lemon juice, if you don't finish it in one sitting, store it in a bottle with a lid in the fridge and finish it within the next few days. If using soda water, remember to only add it when ready to drink. This is really important because you don't want it to go flat while sitting in the fridge.
Calories: 55kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 44mg | Potassium: 17mg | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 16mg